Tjänst utlyses som post doc i ett forskningsprojekt om sociala normer, implicit bias och diskriminering

The Institute for Futures Studies is looking for a two-year postdoc to conduct research on social norms, implicit bias and discrimination. The position is part of the research project "If you're all egalitarians, how come you're so racist?" – Social norms, implicit bias and discrimination, funded by The Swedish Research Council’s special project grant for research into racism and discrimination.

The main aim of this project is to (i) better understand the mechanisms linking slight individual biases (e.g., against ethnic groups) with large scale social inequalities (along ethnic lines), and (ii) assess the implications of such mechanisms, and potential rectifying measures, from an ethical and political-philosophical perspective. The project draws on theories and concepts from game theory, and moral and political philosophy. Led by Katharina Berndt Rasmussen (principal investigator), it is set to run until the end of 2023. For further information about the research project, click this link.

Job description

The advertised position is a two-year postdoc at 100 percent. The successful candidate is expected to spend 75 percent of their time on research on a topic relevant to the research project. The successful candidate will have the freedom to choose their own research agenda so long as it fits thematically with the project. The remaining 25 percent of the candidate’s time will be spent on administrative tasks, such as planning and organizing of conferences and workshops, and editing books and papers.

The research project is part of the Institute’s research theme The socially sustainable society, which brings together researchers from a wide variety of subjects within the humanities and social sciences, working within different research projects on norms, discrimination, biases and stereotypes, etc. For information about the Institute’s other research projects, click this link.

Qualifications and merits

The applicant must hold, or be close to completing, a PhD in philosophy or a related field. Having research experience in moral and political philosophy and decision/game theory is an especially important assessment criterion in appointing the position. Administrative experience, as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate research to a general audience, are also important assessment criteria.


Your application should contain the following:

  1. A letter of application stating your reasons for applying to the postdoc.
  2. An up-to-date CV.
  3. A research proposal (maximum 3 pages) that outlines the research you intend to conduct.
  4. Three writing samples.
  5. Names and contact information to three people who are familiar with you and your work.

Please send your application to no later than 30 November 2021. Interviews (if necessary) will take place in December 2021, either in person in Stockholm or via link.

Employment conditions

100% with starting date 1 February 2022, or as close as possible to this date. The starting salary is 38 979 – 40 060 SEK per month. The successful candidate is expected to work on-site in Stockholm most of the time.


Further information about this position may be obtained from Katharina Berndt Rasmussen (

We look forward to applications from all sexes and birth backgrounds, functionalities and life experiences.

 Check here for other vacancies

For this position, we already have the recruitment support we need, and ask that you do not contact us in this matter. 

The Institute for Futures Studies carries out interdisciplinary research on important future issues and participates in the public discussion with its seminar and publication activities. Under the management of Director Gustaf Arrhenius (Professor of Moral and Political Philosophy), over eighty researchers from various disciplines work with future studies and long-term analysis.