Phone: +46 8 402 12 21
Ryszard Szulkin received his doctorate from Stockholm University 1989. Currently he is a researcher at the Institute for Futures Studies. He also holds appointment as professor of sociology at Stockholm University and is a member of Stockholm University Linnaes Center for Integration Studies (Sulcis).
His research deals with how social stratification and inequality is created in the educational system and in the labor market. During the previous years, he has focused on the mechanisms at the establishment level that generate gender and ethnical differences in labor market-related outcomes. Recently, he has accomplished a series of studies dealing with how social and ethnical segregation influences school progress, labor market careers and crime levels of children of immigrants and children of Swedish background.
At the Institute he will be working with a project themed “Integration in working life” which is financed by the Swedish ESF Council. The purpose of this research is to evaluate, analyze and systematize the results from ESF-financed projects whose main goal is to reduce unemployment among newly arrived immigrants, young people and people of foreign descent.
Three recently published works:
- (2009) “Familjen förorten och framtiden” in Christine Roman & Lars Udehn (ed.) Från klass till organisation. Lund: Liber. (together with Hällsten).
- (2010) “Ethnic Environment During Childhood and the Educational Attainment of Immigrant Children in Sweden”. Social Forces March 2010. (together with Bygren).
- (2013) “Crime As A Price Of Inequality? The Gap in Registered Crime between Childhood Immigrants, Children of Immigrants and Children of Native Swedes” (med Hällsten och Sarnecki). British Journal of Criminology.
Three frequently cited works:
- (1999) ”Wages and Unequal Access to Organizational Power: An Empirical Test of Gender Discrimination” Administrative Science Quarterly vol. 44, 453-472. (together with Hultin).
- (2002) ”Permanent Disadvantage or Gradual Integration: Explaining the Immigrant-Native Earnings Gap in Sweden”, Labor, vol 16, nr 1 (37-64). (together with le Grand).
- (2003) ”Mechanisms of Inequality: Unequal Access to Organizational Power and the Gender Wage Gap”, European Sociological Review, vol. 19 nr.2 (143-159). (together with Hultin).